The Young Writers Contest seeks to encourage young people to express themselves and their thoughts through writing and literacy skills. The contest encourages entrants, age 10-18, to consider the ability to become a published author at any age, and to learn about the process of publishing their work. Winners will be selected based on originality, creativity, and writing skill.
Two winners of the contest will each win full publishing of their book--a $5,000 value!
Click here to see some of the past winning books.
The 2017 Young Writers Contest is now open!
- All book-length prose fiction categories except: color comic books, illustrated books, picture books, cookbooks, collections of short stories, collections of poetry, and erotica/pornography. Manuscript cannot exceed 200 8.5” x 11” pages). This contest is open to English-language manuscripts only. Only previously unpublished manuscripts by previously unpublished authors are eligible for the contest.
- A "previously unpublished author" is a writer who has never had a book-length work of fiction published by any entity in any form (including e-books) in the United States or Canada. Self-published authors are eligible.
- A "previously unpublished manuscript" is one that has never been published before. Authors may submit no more than one (1) manuscript for consideration.
- In the event that a manuscript is entered into the contest and subsequently published prior to the conclusion of the contest, that entry will be automatically disqualified. Entries that do not meet the eligibility guidelines will be disqualified.
- No purchase necessary to enter or win. Void where prohibited by law. This contest is open to all authors ages 18 and under. Minors (under 18 years of age) must have parental/legal guardian consent to enter. See entry form for details.
HOW TO ENTER
To enter online, please complete and sign the entry form below, submit a brief summary of your story, and your entire manuscript by midnight on December 31, 2017.
To enter by mail, please print and complete the entry form and mail it with a brief summary of your story and the entire manuscript in electronic format (CD preferred) to:
Attn: Young Writers Contest
1264 Old Alpharetta Road
Alpharetta, GA 30005
Submissions must be received by December 31, 2017.
Please remember that minors will need a parent/legal guardian’s signature on their entry form.
An electronic version of your manuscript must be submitted in plain Microsoft Word (.doc) or rich text (.rtf) formats. Pages need to be formatted to 8.5” x 11” size.
If you have any questions, please e-mail contest@BookLogix.com. We will respond to inquiries as quickly as possible.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
Manuscripts submitted to the contest will be reviewed by a panel of professionals, including experts in the publishing/writing/printing industry. Entries will be judged using the following criteria:
- Originality, Creativity
- Writing skill
- Audience Appeal
WINNER SELECTION AND PRIZES
Categories are based on the following age criteria: ages 10-13 and ages 14-18.
The two first place winners will be announced on or before April 1, 2018. First place winners in the Young Writers Contest will have their manuscript published by BookLogix. Publishing of the winning manuscript includes: editing, layout of inside pages, softcover design, online selling with quarterly royalty payments, 50 printed copies, eBook conversion, and eBook selling with quarterly royalty payments. (Estimated prize value $5,000.)
After selection, first place winners will be asked to meet with BookLogix staff to review the publishing process and BookLogix’s Terms and Conditions. If winner is a minor, a parent or legal guardian must be present during the meeting.
By entering you are giving your consent for BookLogix Publishing Services to publish your manuscript if you are a first place winner.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By entering the Young Writers Contest, you agree that:
- You are the sole author of the manuscript you have submitted and are responsible for all content submitted.
- Your manuscript is original work that does not violate Copyright laws. Your manuscript has not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other work (as written in any other language or medium).
- Your manuscript does not defame, infringe or violate the right of privacy, trademark, service mark or any intellectual property or other rights of any third party.
- Your manuscript does not include the name of likeness of any actual person(s), without having obtained prior written consent of such person(s) (or of such person’s parent/legal guardian if such person is under 18 years of age).
- Your manuscript has not been previously published.
- Your manuscript meets all eligibility guidelines as described above.
- BookLogix reserves the right to declare any entry ineligible if it is not in accordance with the Eligibility Guidelines stated above, or these Terms and Conditions described above.
- All entrants retain Copyrights to their manuscript submissions and published books.
- You are giving consent to BookLogix Publishing Services to publish your manuscript if you are selected as one of the first place winners, and retain BookLogix as your exclusive publisher for 12 months.
- You are age 18 or under, and have your parent or legal guardian’s consent to enter your manuscript.
- If you are selected as a finalist or first place winner, you are giving permission for your name, likeness and title and excerpt from your winning manuscript to be used in promotional materials for the Young Writers Contest and its sponsors, to include, but not limited to: website, flyer, poster, social media, and press releases.
- You agree that contest sponsors reserve the right to declare any entry ineligible if it is not in accordance with the Eligibility Guidelines stated above, or these Terms and Conditions described here.
- If you are a resident of the State of Georgia you will be responsible for the sales tax if you are selected as a first place winner.
- If the first place winner is disqualified or removes himself/herself from the contest, the first runner-up will be awarded the prize.
- BookLogix is not responsible for any lodging or travel expenses if the winner should wish to visit BookLogix’s office in Alpharetta, GA.
Limitation of Liability:
- Void where prohibited by law. Federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- BookLogix is not responsible for any individual’s inability to enter this contest, including but not limited to: failed software or hardware transmissions; unavailable network, server, telephone or other connections; errors of any kind, whether human, electronic, or mechanical regarding lost, misdirected, late, incomplete or damaged entries; or for any damage to any computer, network, hardware or software related to or resulting from participation.
- Contest Sponsors reserve the right to end or modify the contest if fraud or technical failures compromise the integrity of the contest as determined by our sole discretion.
- Entrants agree that: The Sponsors, their respective promotional partners, affiliated companies, agencies and their employees are not liable for injury, losses, damages or costs of any kind resulting from participation in this contest, or in results of accepting or using the prize awarded. By entering the Contest, participants agree to be bound by these rules.
- The Contest may be terminated without prior notice at any time after it begins.